Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vacation: Breitenbush Hot Springs

A harmless fly that mimics a bee.
I took a few days off to spend a relaxing vacation hiking the trails and enjoying the natural hot springs in Breitenbush, Oregon with Simiao.  If you loved summer camp as a kid, you will love Breitenbush Hot Springs!  We hiked up the "Cliff trail" and were rewarded with an amazing view of the valley, enjoyed delicious vegetarian cuisine (this is coming from an unapologetic carnivore), and of course spent plenty of time soaking in the hot springs.  I appreciated the chance to see some of the native Northwest wildlife, something I'd been wanting to do since I first moved to Seattle.  We found a cute little whipsnake that I wish I'd been fast enough to get a picture of, but he slipped away into the undergrowth before I could get his portrait.  Anyhow the pictures I did get turned out well, and I think you'll like them too!



A long exposure of Simiao on a creek fed by melting snow on the mountains.
Trillium
Calypso bulbosa, an orchid native to the Pacific Northwest.
A long exposure of the night sky over the Breitenbush river.

A darkling beetle and an olive.

No comments:

Post a Comment