Monday, July 1, 2013

More Pinhole Photography from Mt. Rainier

I pulled 4 of my original 6 pinhole cameras from Mt. Rainier's Sunrise Area last weekend.  The results confirmed some follies of my original design and placement strategy:  First, the camera should be mounted vertically like the soda can sits.  Mounting the camera horizontally does not give the massive depth-of-field effect that I expected it to.  Second, the pinholes were way too large.  1mm diameter pinholes are way too big.  Finally, I underestimated the vigilance of passers-by.  The mountain was only open to visitors for three days total while my cameras were there, and one was crushed by some curious tourist during one of those three days.  Only one of the four cameras that I retrieved gave what I would call a worthwhile shot.  One thing that I like about it is that you can see the first few snowfalls:  horizontal bars show the ever-increasing level of the snow with the trees disappearing behind it over time!

Pinhole photo from Mt. Rainier's Sunrise area.  1mm pinhole, can mounted horizontally, and exposure lasted from October 6, 2012 to June 29, 2013. 



No comments:

Post a Comment